A lot has happened since my last post…I’ve just been too busy to write. I apologize. I’ve got a non-dance related book coming out in a few months, and getting ready for that launch has been taking up all my time.
Anyhoo. Since I wrote last Julian has been struggling with his tendon tear. He has gone to PT twice a week, and that has been helping. Initially, it didn’t seem to do much, but then something kicked in and the tendon appeared to start healing. Tendons don’t get a lot of blood flow, so their healing process is a bit iffy in general.
Julian went from not doing much on that right foot to doing more–releves, some turns, but still nothing that wasn’t two footed. He had been taking class all along, but he was sitting out during the latter part of class. He began to do more.
Additionally, he was “saving” himself for summer intensive auditions. So, he would only do what was necessary in class. Then he’d go full out in auditions. He skipped a few summer intensive auditions, like Houston, after he got the great deal from San Francisco Ballet. Basically, he decided that was where he’d go this summer–unless he ends up needing surgery.
At this point in time, summer intensive auditions are over. However, auditions for companies have begun. Although Julian is a bit young–he turns 18 this summer, he’s been told to audition. He’d like to return to SAB next year and try for a spot as an apprentice at NYCB. However, it seems there are less and less spots in companies, especially given the economy. The boys have been told to take a job–even a trainee position–if they are offered one–including Julian.
He might have some tough decisions to make by June or so.
In the meantime, he dances full out in company auditions, and does what is necessary in class. He pushed himself recently while being auditioned for choreographic institute numbers. And then he regretted it. Not only that…the faculty at SAB decided not to allow him to participate in the choreographic institute numbers because of his ankle, preferring to “save” him for Workshop, the end of the year performance. This one is attended by representatives from ballet companies from around the nation and from Europe, from what I understand (a bit like when recruiters come to watch athletes at sporting events). This hit Julian really hard, since it came on the heels of being cut out of the Winter Ball choreography because of his ankle as well.
We called SAB to ask about the latter decision (choreographic institute) and were told the school is not focused on performance opportunities. The only thing that really matters is that Julian perform 100% in class and in Workshop. Okay then.
He was very upset but got over it. I guess it’s all a lesson in learning to take care of his body better. Don’t push past your limits. Listen to what your body is telling you. Go to the chiropractor, for massage, to the PT, etc. Warm up!
We’ll see what happens with Workshop. They get their roles next week, I think.
As for college auditions (I throw my hands in the air), forget about a Plan B–at least a Plan B for failure or for not dancing right away. We had to call Juilliard and discuss his injury; Julian couldn’t rehearse his solo even once after choreographing it. In the end, two days before the audition he went to speak to the rep at Juilliard who invited him to audition and discussed it personally with her. They both agreed he shouldn’t risk hurting himself and that he had no chance really of getting admitted without a solo. So…no Juilliard audition. (I wipe away a tear…)
We haven’t heard from Indiana, but he won’t be able to audition anyway. We haven’t heard from Oklahoma; he’s into that dance program already. He’s on the waiting list at Butler–guess why? His grades last quarter were less than stellar, so we’ll see what the other schools say.
Well, he doesn’t want to go to college anyway, at least not full time. He just wants to take classes while he dances professionally. So, I have a new Plan B–Plan B for success. He simply must get a job in a company, succeed at dance and become a choreographer along the way. If he also gets a college degree along the way and learns to be a body worker (Plan C), super.
As for the surgery…we won’t know about that until June. He was even told by one of the SAB school representatives that he should simply dance full out for Workshop and then have the surgery afterward if need be–if the tendon gets worse. In other words, take a risk to show all those reps from companies (and Peter Martins of NYCB) what he has. Then go have the second MRI and handle the consequences.
My response? Go check in with the doctor. Then go dance your heart out. Focus on Plan B for Success.